The field of healthcare management holds much promise for the near future. With an aging baby boomer population and major governmental healthcare initiatives, demand for health services continues to rise and is projected to rise even more in the days to come. In fact, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) expects those in this field to realize a median salary of $84,270 per year with job growth through 2020 to be 22% which is faster than average when compared to other fields.
It is vitally important to be informed!
Be sure to request information from more than one school in order to compare which program is best for you.
Popular Schools — Or Choose A State —>
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Master of Arts in Government - Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- And more...
- Bachelor's and master's level Business programs are available online and on campus.
- Courses are designed to teach practical business solutions, with a career-focused curriculum.
- Students can study in areas such as business, applied management, and business administration.
- Experienced professionals equip students with a working knowledge of marketing, financing, accounting, and sales.
- Students who have graduated high school in or before 2015 are eligible to apply.
- Diploma - Business
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MBA - Health Care Management
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- Master of Health Information Management
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Doctor of Business Administration: Healthcare Management
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- And more...
- Program areas include Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, and more
- Students are taught cooking styles from around the globe, including Classical European, Asian, and Latin cuisine
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career as a chef, with course topics that include Culinary Techniques, Management by Menu, and Nutrition
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef
- Culinary Management (BS)
- Food & Beverage Management (BS)
- Culinary Arts Management (BS)
- Gives students the opportunity to earn their associate’s degree in the culinary arts field in less than 15 months
- Located in Norfolk and Newport News, Virginia.
- Offers externship experiences to students for experience in the field.
- Hosts regular career fairs for employer recruitment.
- Has student housing available.
- Food Service Management
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor's
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Master's Healthcare Management
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Care Administration - D.B.A.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- Health Care Administration - MBA
- And more...
The job of a healthcare manager is an intense one. This person must oversee many areas in a healthcare or long-term care facility with the primary mission of ensuring services are delivered efficiently and with high quality. Thus, the healthcare manager must supervise healthcare staff, advise upper management, oversee the keeping of accurate patient and facility records, ensure billing is completed when required, and make work schedules so that the facility is staffed adequately at all times.
Anyone wanting to get into this field typically have bachelor’s degrees in healthcare administration. A master’s degree gives even more of a competitive edge. You will also find healthcare managers who may have been with the organization in some other capacity with a degree (master’s or bachelor’s) in business administration, public administration, or other healthcare administration area.
Those in the healthcare management field are in most cases found in hospitals however you will find them in any facility with the responsibility of delivering healthcare services. Thus, you will find them in nursing care facilities, home healthcare services, physician’s offices, and outpatient treatment centers. In a 24-hour facility such as a hospital or nursing home, healthcare managers may be required to do shift work.
Their responsibilities also vary depending on where they work. For instance, nursing home administrators must not only oversee the care of residents but must also ensure that the facility maintains standards for licensing by the state. They may also have to look after financial and facility maintenance matters. Those deemed as health information managers may not be involved with direct patient care but are instead charged with overseeing the maintenance and security of healthcare databases.
As mentioned before, the healthcare industry is going through some drastic changes in preparation for Obamacare to go into full effect in 2014. This will require more staffing and strict adherence to new Federal regulations with regard to patient care. The healthcare manager’s job will be more important than ever. If you think this might be an attractive career for you, start seeing what educational opportunities are available and begin preparing today.
 Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition, Medical and Health Services Managers, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/medical-and-health-services-managers.htm (visited June 02, 2013).